lnu.sePublikasjoner
Endre søk
RefereraExporteraLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Referera
Referensformat
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Annet format
Fler format
Språk
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Annet språk
Fler språk
Utmatningsformat
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Driving performance in participants with quadrantanopia and hemianopia in Sweden: a closed circuit driving track study
Linnéuniversitetet, Fakulteten för Hälso- och livsvetenskap (FHL), Institutionen för medicin och optometri (MEO).ORCID-id: 0000-0002-3745-0035
SYAB, Kalmar.
Indenova, Karlstad.
Royal Dutch Visio, Centre of Expertise for Blind and Partially Sighted People, Netherlands.
2015 (engelsk)Konferansepaper, Oral presentation with published abstract (Fagfellevurdert)
Abstract [en]

Background: The ability to drive a car is one of the important aspect of a person’s independent lifestyle. People with visual field defects after stroke or traumatic brain injury (TBI) have more limitations in driving. In Sweden, they are not allowed to drive and their driving licenses are revoked. The Swedish transport agency does not allow any on-road test for them to prove their practical fitness to drive. Therefore, the aim was to evaluate driving performance in participants with visual field defects after TBI in a closed circuit driving track.Methods: Eleven participants with varying degrees of quadrantanopia and hemianopia after TBI were recruited for this study. The mean age of the participants was 58 ±13.7 years (37 - 73 years). All participants underwent 10 weeks of explorative saccadic training at the hospital prior to driving assessment. Driving performance were assessed by two driving instructors and they graded the participants from 1 (fail) to 5 (excellent) on the following five categories: maneuvering the vehicle, safety margin, traffic rules, scanning for potential hazards and reacting to situations. The subject passed the driving test only if they scored 3 or more in each category.Results: Five (45%) out of 11 participants passed the driving test and they were adjudged as fit to drive. Remaining six (55%) participants failed at least in one category. Three of them failed in visual scanning, two failed in maneuvering and one failed in both the aforementioned categories as well as safety margin.Discussion: A rehabilitation program aimed at improving safe driving should be implemented and an on-road assessment of fitness to drive should be allowed in Sweden for this population in future.Conclusion: The decision on practical fitness to drive cannot be based solely on the presence of visual field defect and an on-road assessment is required.

sted, utgiver, år, opplag, sider
2015.
HSV kategori
Forskningsprogram
Naturvetenskap, Optometri
Identifikatorer
URN: urn:nbn:se:lnu:diva-74467OAI: oai:DiVA.org:lnu-74467DiVA, id: diva2:1209281
Konferanse
ESLRR 2015, 25-27 Sept, 2015, Oxford, UK
Tilgjengelig fra: 2018-05-22 Laget: 2018-05-22 Sist oppdatert: 2018-12-07bibliografisk kontrollert

Open Access i DiVA

Fulltekst mangler i DiVA

Andre lenker

Programme & abstracts

Personposter BETA

Baskaran, Karthikeyan

Søk i DiVA

Av forfatter/redaktør
Baskaran, Karthikeyan
Av organisasjonen

Søk utenfor DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

urn-nbn

Altmetric

urn-nbn
Totalt: 362 treff
RefereraExporteraLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Referera
Referensformat
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Annet format
Fler format
Språk
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Annet språk
Fler språk
Utmatningsformat
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf