lnu.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Exploring injury panorama, consequences, and recovery among bus crash survivors: a mixed-methods research study
Umeå University.
Umeå University.
Linnaeus University, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Department of Health and Caring Sciences. Uppsala University.ORCID iD: 0000-0003-2949-2195
Umeå University.
2017 (English)In: Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, ISSN 1049-023X, E-ISSN 1945-1938, Vol. 32, no 2, p. 165-174Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to explore physical and mental consequences and injury mechanisms among bus crash survivors to identify aspects that influence recovery.

METHODS: The study participants were the total population of survivors (N=56) from a bus crash in Sweden. The study had a mixed-methods design that provided quantitative and qualitative data on injuries, mental well-being, and experiences. Results from descriptive statistics and qualitative thematic analysis were interpreted and integrated in a mixed-methods analysis.

RESULTS: Among the survivors, 11 passengers (20%) sustained moderate to severe injuries, and the remaining 45 (80%) had minor or no physical injuries. Two-thirds of the survivors screened for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) risk were assessed, during the period of one to three months after the bus crash, as not being at-risk, and the remaining one-third were at-risk. The thematic analysis resulted in themes covering the consequences and varying aspects that affected the survivors' recoveries. The integrated findings are in the form of four "core cases" of survivors who represent a combination of characteristics: injury severity, mental well-being, social context, and other aspects hindering and facilitating recovery. Core case Avery represents a survivor who had minor or no injuries and who demonstrated a successful mental recovery. Core case Blair represents a survivor with moderate to severe injuries who experienced a successful mental recovery. Core case Casey represents a survivor who sustained minor injuries or no injuries in the crash but who was at-risk of developing PTSD. Core case Daryl represents a survivor who was at-risk of developing PTSD and who also sustained moderate to severe injuries in the crash.

CONCLUSION: The present study provides a multi-faceted understanding of mass-casualty incident (MCI) survivors (ie, having minor injuries does not always correspond to minimal risk for PTSD and moderate to severe injuries do not always correspond to increased risk for PTSD). Injury mitigation measures (eg, safer roadside material and anti-lacerative windows) would reduce the consequences of bus crashes. A well-educated rescue team and a compassionate and competent social environment will facilitate recovery. Doohan I , Björnstig U , Östlund U , Saveman BI . Exploring injury panorama, consequences, and recovery among bus crash survivors: a mixed-methods research study. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2017;32(2):165-174.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
Cambridge University Press, 2017. Vol. 32, no 2, p. 165-174
Keywords [en]
AIS Abbreviated Injury Scale, MAIS Maximum Abbreviated Injury Scale, MCI mass-casualty incident, PTSD posttraumatic stress disorder, RSA road safety audits, SAIA Swedish Accident Investigation Authority, TSQ Trauma Screening Questionnaire, Emergency Medical Services, injuries, mass-casualty incident, survivors
National Category
Other Medical Sciences not elsewhere specified
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:lnu:diva-74284DOI: 10.1017/S1049023X16001485PubMedID: 28132665OAI: oai:DiVA.org:lnu-74284DiVA, id: diva2:1205050
Available from: 2018-05-09 Created: 2018-05-09 Last updated: 2018-05-09Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text in DiVA

Other links

Publisher's full textPubMed

Authority records BETA

Östlund, Ulrika

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Östlund, Ulrika
By organisation
Department of Health and Caring Sciences
In the same journal
Prehospital and Disaster Medicine
Other Medical Sciences not elsewhere specified

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
pubmed
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
pubmed
urn-nbn
Total: 2 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • harvard1
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf